Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bedtime Prayer

Raising kidlets is a lot of work.  Let me repeat that.  Raising kiddos is a Gargantuan amount of work.  And usually something like a bedtime prayer is cake because you just pass down the ones you learned as a kid to your own kids.  Except, that the prayers I learned don't really work anymore.  Because I was raised Catholic, but once I moved out on my own and began exploring my spirituality I realized Christianity and I weren't a good fit.  I love many Christians, and have several Christian friends who are able to accept that I'm not.  And now I'm going off on a tangent.

Back to the original subject of this blog.  My oldest child has always had a problem with anxiety - she had a full blown panic attack at age 2.  So I began wracking my brain to come up with a prayer for her (and my other children) that would help her settle down at night and not make me grit my teeth while saying it.  The one I kept coming back to from my own childhood began with the lines - Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  So after much brainstorming I wrote my own bedtime prayer for my children.  I'm sharing it because there may be other parents who want to find a bedtime prayer for their kiddos, but don't want to use the standard Christian prayers.  If you don't like it, please be respectful and don't leave nasty comments.

Tonight on my sleep-lit ride
I pray the Gods to be my guide
If from slumber I should not awake
To the Summerlands I will make
Lady light my hearth tonight
Lord please drive away my frights
With this rhyme I ask of thee
As I will, So Mote It Be

No comments:

Post a Comment