Monday, January 13, 2014

Book review: Holidays are Hell (novella anthology)

199929

3.5 star overall.  Did not read the Lynsay Sands novella, but the other three were well done. 

First off, The Kim Harrison short. I'd heard of this short from others who'd read the Rachel Morgan series, but this was my first chance to read it. It was really, really well done and made me want to go back and read the whole series again (starting from book 6, because NOBODY in their right mind wants to have to read through what happened to Kisten again.) When Pierce came into the series I had a gut reaction that he needed to be punched. Repeatedly. I'm interested to see if that's going to change since I read this version of Pierce from a younger Rachel point of view. We shall see.

Next was the Marjorie M. Liu short. I've read one of her books before and like her writing style well enough. This short was fun to read and it'd be great to read more about Six and Joseph in the series Liu writes. Really enjoyed the non-traditional vampires that Liu works with here and it would be very interesting to see the entire world again.

Lastly was the prequel for Vicki Pettersson's Zodiac series. This was....a bit difficult because I have read ANY of the authors' books, so it was kind of like getting thrown into the Hobbit halfway through and just figuring the rest out. But. It was still a good read and I'm going to be getting more of the Zodiac books when the budget permits.

My very favorite part of this was the collection name: because holidays ARE hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment