Monday, January 13, 2014

Book review: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

13561533

3.5 stars for The Hobbit. I was a bit conflicted on how to rate this because so many people rave about it, but I didn't think it was a great as, say The Hero and the Crown. But I did like it overall, so I went with 3.5.

Things I didn't like so much: the lack of detail in the book. I've been thoroughly spoiled by Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies and I really loved all the extra stuff in the films. Also really hate that the dwarf lads died. (Despised is a better description. It bothered me so much that I'm writing a fanfiction where they don't.)

Things that were pretty awesome: the elves; Beorn; Gandalf; and the multitude of songs that J. R. R. Tolkien took the time to write.

It's definitely worth the time to read, but it left me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment