Thursday, January 19, 2012

Riding the Wave of Change

I knew that beginning practicum was going to be a big change for our household.  But I hadn't really factored in that my husband's shift change from day shift to swing shift was also going to be a change.  So I guess I shouldn't have been so very surprised when Lightning started having a very hard time falling asleep the week I started practicum.  Lightning has always had a harder time adjusting to changes than Bess and Dare - it's just part of his personality.  But for some reason it just didn't occur to me that my darling son would possibly get himself so riled up that he wouldn't let his younger brother sleep, either.  


We're now in my husband's third week of swing shift and my second week of practicum where I work Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Thanks to Sittercity I was able to find a nanny who would watch the kids for me between the time when their dad (who I'm going to start calling Donald so I don't have to keep typing my husband) leaves for work and the time I get home.  So while it is still a very big change, I've done what I can to smooth it over for them.  


I have a feeling we'll be in for some more issues before we're all adjusted to these changes, but when you're a military family you learn to either ride that changing wave or sink underneath the waves.  And we'd much rather surf than sink ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and your kids are learning great coping skills along the way.

    Hang 10!

    ReplyDelete